Santa Monica:    
Monday, May 20, 2024
0

No products in the cart.

Santa Monica:    
Happy New Year
Music News

Travis Scott and Live Nation settle nearly all wrongful death Astroworld lawsuits

Shop Now in our merch shop

Travis Scott and Live Nation have settled nearly all the wrongful death lawsuits filed over the Astroworld festival tragedy.

Ten people died and hundreds were injured following the tragedy in November 2021.

Multiple lawsuits have since been filed but according to the Associated Press all 10 wrongful death lawsuits have now been settled apart from one.

Neal Manne, a lawyer for Live Nation, said during a court hearing relating to Madison Dubiski’s death yesterday (May 8) nine have been settled, including the one filed by Dubiski’s family. The 23-year-old Houston resident was one of the 10 people killed during the crowd crush.

Noah Wexler, a lawyer for Dubiski’s family, confirmed during the court hearing that their case “is resolved in its entirety.”

Scott’s publicist Ted Anastasiou told AP: “Mr. Scott is grateful that a resolution has been reached without the need for a trial. The confidential agreement will honour Madison Dubiski’s legacy and promote improvements for concert safety.”

Travis Scott performs live at Astroworld 2021 CREDIT: Getty

The one wrongful death lawsuit still pending was filed by the family of nine-year-old Ezra Blount, the youngest person who died during the concert.

Lawyers were set to meet next week to discuss when the lawsuit filed by Blount’s family could be scheduled for trial but Manne said he and the lawyers for other defendants being sued were not ready.

State District Judge Kristen Hawkins said that if the Blount family’s lawsuit is not settled, she is inclined to schedule that as the next trial instead of an injury case.

More than 4,000 plaintiffs filed hundreds of lawsuits following the concert. Manne said around 2,400 injury cases remain pending.

Back in February 2022, hundreds of Astroworld lawsuits were combined into one case.

Following the incident, Scott shared that he was “absolutely devastated” by the news. In November 2023, he opened up about the tragedy again, saying that he would “always think about it”.

Earlier in the month, it was revealed that Scott had been sued again over the Astroworld tragedy. It came after a grand jury decided that Scott would not face criminal charges.

More recently, it was revealed that Drake, who performed on the night, was seeking to be dismissed from the ongoing litigation over the crowd crush tragedy.

Drake was a surprise guest during the set at the Houston festival and was initially questioned for several hours in a deposition tied to hundreds of lawsuits filed in Harris County after the crowd rush.

Adblock test (Why?)

NME Original Article

Related Posts

1 of 3,187