A dog named Sammy was being credited with sensing danger and, as a result, helping to save a Georgia family of five from a fire that caused extensive damage to their home.

Savannah firefighters said the household pet’s loud barking alerted the five family members to the raging fire in the rear of the home early Friday. They had been sleeping.

Patriot Flag Tshirt

“They all escaped unharmed,” Savannah Fire Rescue said.

Household pet Sammy was credited with alerting his owner and family to a raging fire in their home Friday in Savannah, Georgia. 

Household pet Sammy was credited with alerting his owner and family to a raging fire in their home Friday in Savannah, Georgia.  (Savannah Fire Rescue)

ENGLISH DOG TURNS ON MICROWAVE, SPARKS KITCHEN FIRE, OFFICIALS SAY

A photo on the department’s Facebook page showed Sammy seated in the back of a pickup looking toward the camera as firefighters battled the fire behind him.

Another dog and two cats were not so lucky.

ARKANSAS TODDLER, 1, DIES IN HOUSE FIRE TRYING TO RESCUE FAMILY DOG: REPORT

“Firefighters tried but were unable to revive them,” fire officials said, according to WJCL-TV.

The house sustained extensive smoke and fire damage, according to firefighters.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP 

They blamed the fire on a freezer.

Fox News