Matt Carstens is a talented 21-year-old singer-songwriter from Gordon’s Bay in South Africa whose infectious indie-pop hits and electric acoustic ballads have taken the nation by storm. Authentic, honest, infinitely listenable and well-produced, his beautifully written songs enjoy constant airplay, and has earned him a spot of honour among the country’s most promising up-and-coming musicians.
Matt originally burst onto the scene in 2016, playing lively and versatile performances of original compositions and well-known covers at prestigious festivals like InniBos, Strab and Up the Creek, sharing the stage with heavyweights like Majozi, Spoegwolf and Die Heuwels Fantasties. He recorded a full-length album ‘2D Heart’ in 2017, receiving outstanding reviews.
In the same year he won the both Rock Rumoer (an annual battle of the bands at InniBos festival) and #VanCokeColab. The latter afforded him the opportunity to collaborate with Francois van Coke on a single ‘Broken Society’, which set the pace for the pop-dominant sound that has since become synonymous with his brand. Watch the music video:
Matt’s latest single, ‘High’, was written about love that is doomed to fail. Although this can seem like pretty grim subject matter, he set out to explore the notion in positive ways as well.
“The main message is that we should all try to live in the moment despite our fear of getting hurt or being unsure of the future,” says Matt. “Pain is hard to deal with, but it is also a very important part of the spectrum of human emotion; we all share it and the best way to deal with it is to find a way to grow from it. In the end, we should respect ourselves, live with as few regrets as we can and learn not to neglect our own wellbeing when focussing on that of another.”
Peach van Pletzen (Planet Awesome Studios), who produced ‘High’, had a great time in studio with Matt. “Matt was one of the easiest guys to work with in studio,” he says. “He has great vocal tone and delivery and is tight on the guitar; he made my job very easy! He also a super talented songwriter to boot.”
Recognition for High & where to find it
Upcoming Matt Carstens’ shows:
- 30 August – The Courtyard (McGregor)
- 31 August – Mountain Mill Mall (Worcester)
- 1 September – The Red Herring (Noordhoek)
- 7 September – Boschendal Werf Picnics (Franschhoek)
- 8 September – Bertie’s Moorings (Gordon’s Bay)
- 13 September – Durbanville Hills Wine Down
- 14 September – Triggerfish (Somerset West)
- 18 September – Mojo Market (Sea Point)
- 19 September – Brick Lane Eatery (Century City)
- 20 September – Mujō Bar & Restaurant (George)
- 22 September – The Strawberry Festival (George)
- 27 September – Blue Roof Pub & Grill (Fisherhaven)
- 28 September – Jack Black Brewery (Diep River)
- 29 September – The Whale Festival (Hermanus)
Social Media Links